Celebrating Abraham Lincoln’s Banking Legacy: A Podcast
In honor of Abraham Lincoln’s birthday (Feb. 12) and President’s Day (Feb. 18), enjoy this podcast from ABA Banking Journal celebrating Lincoln’s banking impact. In this episode, co-host Evan Sparks will discuss:
- Lincoln’s early support as a Whig for a national bank
- How the examination of the Illinois state bank was the subject of Lincoln’s first recorded speech in the Illinois legislature
- The importance to Lincoln of the rule of law, whether in bank supervision or the expansion of slavery
- Why, for Lincoln, well-regulated banks were a source of civic virtue
- How, to pay for the Civil War, Lincoln created America’s unique dual chartering system and provided for a sound currency
If you can’t see the audio player above, click here to listen to the original episode.